Build: 3.06.0002
California Environmental Reporting System: Business

Business Portal Help Materials

 Help ResourceResource Type

Category: Aboveground Petroleum Storage Tanks (APSA)

  Is My Facility Regulated Under APSA?
How do I know if my facility is regulated under the Aboveground Petroleum Storage Act (APSA) and what types of aboveground storage tanks, containers and equipment are regulated under APSA? (Updated August 19, 2016)
  Should I file an SPCC Plan in CERS?
Should I file a Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plan in CERS? (October 21, 2015)
  Aboveground Petroleum Tank Reporting
Do I have to file an Aboveground Storage Tank Facility Statement if I have already reported a Hazardous Materials Business Plan? (November 24, 2014)

Category: Facility Management

  How to Change a Facility Address
If your facility address has changed (eg. the street has been renamed)or you need to correct a previous data entry error follow these steps (October 3, 2014)
Help Guide

Category: General

  Common CERS Reporting Errors
What are the most common CERS reporting errors that CUPAs and PAs see in Business submittals to CERS? (January 21, 2015)
  CERS Business Portal FAQs
A listing of common questions that come to CERS Technical Support staff. (October 3, 2014)
  Adding a New Person/User to your CERS Business
This brief document shows how to add a new person/user to have access to the facility(s) for you CERS Business. (July 5, 2013)
Help Guide
  Adding Your First New Facility
If you have searched CERS and determined that your facility is not in CERS you can follow this guide to create it. (July 5, 2013)
Help Guide
  Requesting Access to an Existing CERS Business/Facility
This brief document explains your first step to search for and request access to an existing facility/business in CERS. (September 24, 2012)
Help Guide

Category: Hazardous Materials Business Plan

  Is an HMBP Required to be Submitted Annually?
Is a business required to submit the entire Hazardous Materials Business Plan annually and if so when? (October 11, 2016)
  Are Remote Unstaffed Facilities Exempt from Reporting?
Are Remote Unstaffed Facilities Exempt from Electronic Reporting Requirements? (June 1, 2015)
  Obsolete Fire Hazard Categories
Why are some Fire Hazard Categories no longer available? (October 3, 2014)

Category: Hazardous Waste

  Are Remote Sites Generators if They Transfer Hazwaste?
Are remote sites that comply with applicable rules required to answer ‘yes’ to the Business Activities Question: Does your facility generate hazardous waste? (October 23, 2015)

Category: Submittals

  HMBP No Change Submittals
How to make an HMBP related submittal when there have been no changes from the previous submittal. (October 7, 2015)

Category: Underground Storage Tanks (UST)

  Notice to Close Single Wall USTs
UST Announcement: All Single Wall Underground Storage Tank (UST) and Piping Systems Must be Permanently Closed by Dec 31, 2025 (Updated October 6, 2016)
  How to report BOE Numbers
What BOE number should I report? Updated for non petroleum USTs (April 1, 2016)
  Which UST Forms Must Be Uploaded
Describes UST document reporting and signature requirements. (Updated October 12, 2016)
  General Reporting Requirements for USTs
What are the general reporting requirements for Underground Storage Tank (UST) Sites? Does every field have to be completed? Updated to clarify that in some cases annual reporting of all UST data may not be required. (September 11, 2015)
  Reporting Abandoned USTs
Should abandoned USTs be reported in CERS? (Updated 8/15/2017)
  UST FAQ: How to Report Tank Contents
How should ethanol containing gasoline, biodiesel and other petroleum containing substances be reported? (October 20, 2014)
  UST FAQ: When to Report Repairs and New USTs
When should a business report a new UST or repairs and modifications to existing USTs? (October 20, 2014)
  Are Hard Copies Required to be Kept Onsite?
Do I have to retain hard copies of UST related documents onsite at my facility? -What about the UST Permit issued by the CUPA? (July 9, 2014)
  UST related FAQs FAQ

Other Help Information

A selection of business user training materials are available on the CERS Central Business User Help page.

How to Get Help?

What to Report
Questions concerning what data should be reported for your facility(s) should be directed to your local regulator(s).

How to use CERS
General questions about how to use CERS (or the local reporting portal) for reporting on your facility(s) should also also be directed to your local regulator(s).

CERS Technical Problems/Questions
If you are have technical problems accessing CERS or receiving errors while using CERS, please contact CERS Technical Support at cers@calepa.ca.gov.

Multi-Jurisdictional Businesses
For questions relating to setting up a business organization in CERS with facilities in more than one CUPA jurisdiction, please review this letter and/or email cers@calepa.ca.gov.

Suggest an Enhancement

Review the Enhancements Listing
Your idea may have already been suggested to Cal/EPA. Please review the CERS2 Enhancements Listing, and if you don't see it there, use the online form to send your suggestion.